The Madoka movie, 後篇。

I had intended to buy a ticket for a Saturday showing of the second part of Madoka, but there was a problem: tickets became available three days prior to a showing, and by the time I remembered to check the website after midnight on Wednesday, the best seats were gone. Thursday night, I checked at 12:10 and still barely managed to get a decent seat for Sunday. Otaku are ruthless when it comes to limited availability. Thus, on Sunday I headed for Nagoya and walked down to catch the second movie. It was similarly excellent, and I’m genuinely curious how they’ll add a new chapter to the story with a third movie (coming 2013).

Upon exiting, I asked one of the employees if there had been a bonus for going for the opening weekend. He explained that if I showed them my movie ticket from the current film and the card I received the previous week, I’d get a film clipping. Yeah, that card. The one I thought was just a token to show I’d gone. The one I hadn’t read. I explained I’d left it in my room, and wheedled a bit to try to bypass the requirement, but the best I got from him was a note on the back of my ticket that explained I’d be returning later. (Japanese will bend the rules, but breaking them is another matter.) There was no way I’d be able to get back to the I-House and then go back to the theater in time, and if I waited until the following weekend, the clippings would undoubtedly be gone, so I’d have to go back the next day.

My ticket stubs, film clipping, and Madoka sketch from the theatrical releases.

Thus, after class on Monday, I decided it’d be cheaper to take the campus bus to Hoshigaoka, rather than come back here and then take the city bus. It being a weekday, the day pass was more expensive, but letting ASU ferry me to the other campus cut that cost. Oka-san in the office said it was a little iffy, since the bus was ostensibly for students changing campuses for class, but as long as I didn’t say anything, I’d probably be okay. The ride to Hoshigaoka took a while, but the big delay was the train — when I got into the station and approached the Higashiyama line, the train wasn’t moving. One of the employees explained to me that there was an earthquake warning, and until that passed, the train would be delayed — a real rarity in Japan, by the way, but I had no other choice, so I boarded. The car was full of high-schoolers, as were the adjacent cars. It took easily half an hour before they gave the all-clear, and I never did notice an earthquake. All cars from there to Nagoya were packed full, though.

I finally made it to 109 Cinemas again and got my film clipping without a hitch. Not exciting, but a real collector’s item. By the time I got back to the train station, it wasn’t quite as crowded as before. If only I’d read the card instead of just stashing it with the sketch…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s